Updated Pages - DIY Projects for the Garden, Worm Test!

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Vegetable in Review - Okra



Abelmoscbus esculentus

Okra





I personally have never grown Okra in my garden, and actually have never even eaten any. However my husbands aunt, grows it, and prepares it. Apparently it is a quite the yummy veggie from what she has told me, although, I have seen her prepare it, and I have noted that when cutting raw okra, it is very slimy. Not sure why, but it is.!

I think this year I am going to give it a shot though. I like to try new and different varieties, if I like them, i continue to grow them, if not, they don't make into my garden again. LOL
So here is a little research I have done for you so that if you wish to grow this unique veggie, you'll know how to!



Okra is a warm season vegetable, meaning it has to have fairly warm  temperatures (both soil temps and air temps) to germinate and grow.

Plant okra in the soil after all danger of frost has gone, because okra does not transplant well at all.
Plant in deeply dug soil, amended with compost, and plant seeds about 18 inches apart. Feed 3 times during the growing season with any organic fertilizer, such as compost tea, or fertilizer made with bat guano, earthworm castings or your own homemade brew.



Water occasionally during the season, and it grows well in full sun. Harvest is in 55 to 70 days when the pods are 3 to 5 inches long.

Pests of okra are earworms and cabbageworms.



Jo.






No comments:

Post a Comment